Rukuhia School

Developing Independence
Through Learning
E wahi hari kia akongia
(07) 843 6967
office@rukuhia.school.nz
58 Rukuhia Road, RD 2, Ohaupo 3882

Previous Updates

Room 1 Class Page

Written by Jane

News from Room 1

Garden and Living World Groups

Posted on 2 November 2018

Science Extension

Several students from Room 1 have been selected to take part in either the Garden or Living World lessons led by Mrs Ariane Bailey (expert gardener) or Mrs Anneke Esselbrugge (expert Science teacher).  These are valuable learning opportunities to extend our students.  The learning steps for the students are:

• to explore and explain the importance of growing vegetables/soil in relation to growing plants 
  • to reflect on their experiences in order to shift their ideas closer to scientific ideas
  • to develop questioning skills
  • to develop critical and creative skills - to make sense of information

It was fantastic to see the results of the Science group last term.  The students were able to explain their findings and share their wonderful knowledge when we visited their mini Science expo in the hall.  

We are excited to see the progress in the garden and look forward to eating some of the produce!

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

School Production

Posted on 25 October 2018

Ghosts, Ghouls and Unwanted Guests

Ghosts, Ghouls and Unwanted Guests

Thank you to those families that gave such positive comments about our school production.  The children attained their goal of performing on stage in front of an audience – I was very proud of all of them.

We will continue this term to explore the elements of drama focusing on actions and using our voices to portray characters from stories and plays.

Comment on this post...

Term 4

Posted on 25 October 2018

Learning

Welcome to Term 4.  A huge welcome to Mr Mark Craig, our Room 1 teacher trainee.  Mr Craig will be with us for six weeks.  The children are really enjoying the extra teacher time in class… Mr Craig has some great ideas to implement within his time at Rukuhia.

Learning for Term 4:

Reading and writing – we will continue with daily reading and writing.  This will be in conjunction with our inquiry topic of bees.  We have had a visit from our neighboring bee keeper, Michael.  He shared his wonderful knowledge and the children are now writing facts about bees.  These will be on display shortly.  Thank you to those of you that are supporting your child with learning their weekly spelling words.  Room 1 spelling results from last term were excellent.  Please keep up the enthusiasm with reading at home – I have noticed that some reading logs have not been filled out each day.  If you need some ideas to support your child with reading at home please see me.

Mathematics- Mrs McKain is focusing on statistics at present.  Statistics is about investigating, asking questions, gathering, sorting and discussing the results.  The children have been learning to sort objects by similarities and discussing differences.  They have also displayed data (the graphs are hanging up in Room 1 on the wire) as well as making statements about the display.  An example of this is:  “The most popular super hero is Iron Man”, ”The least favourite fruit is grapes”.

Science – we are looking at bees, their life cycle, why they are so important to humans and our school garden.  The is part of Living World. 

We are visiting Hamilton Gardens to support our learning about this.  A news card may come home with your child over the next two weeks – this is an opportunity for your child to share their knowledge about bees.

Technology – we will be designing and making hand puppets plus making a bee hive. 

Maori – we will be looking at some Maori legends as well as practising our greetings/farewells, counting, colours and naming body parts.

Health & PE – our focus is athletics.  These two weeks the children have been developing their skills in jumping.  Mr Craig has set up some fun games to practice this skill.

Comment on this post...

Week 7 Update

Posted on 5 September 2018

Shared Book Follow up

We finished last week off with icing and decorating some cupcakes - they looked really ... err inviting!  Our shared book Mrs Wishy-Washy's Birthday was about her birthday cake and how it was iced with pink roses. Every week we focus on reading a big book.  This develops smooth reading (like we are talking) and the identification of high frequency words (like they, this, up, on).  We also look at new vocabulary in the story and discuss punctuation. The children loved eating their creations.

Comment on this post...

Week 6

Posted on 30 August 2018

Production

Wow...the weeks are flying by.  We have been focusing on production in the afternoons.  Thank you to those families that have sent in costume pieces and/or clothes for wearing under costumes.  We will be asking for parents/whanau to help with make up, hair and supervision during the evening performances.  The children are really excited about performing for you - they have been working on their dance routines and singing.  It has been delightful to watch their enthusiasm.  If your child cannot make the evening performances then please let me know. We allow the children to have an early finish from school on the Wednesday and Thursday so that they can go home and have a rest before the night performances.  Also children can arrive late on the Friday morning -so they can have a sleep in.  More about that later on.

Our morning programme is just the same with mathematics with Mrs Ngaire McKain.  The focus is number knowledge - counting and recognising the teen numbers as well as addition up to 10.

Within the literacy programme children are learning to read smoothly (like we talk) and to identify the first letter of an unknown word and make the sound, such as, 'c sound' for come.  When writing the children are adding onto their first sentence and still learning to stretch out sounds and write the letters that match.  Initially the children record only dominant sounds such as, 'wt' for went, then they learn the medial sounds (middle sounds).  We continue to focus on vocabulary - learning the meanings of new words in our readers and picture books.  Thank you for listening to your child read each evening.  The more children practice the better reader they become.

On Fridays the children are tested on their spelling words and I try to write in the new words if they are required so that you have time over the weekend to practice them.  If your child does not give me his/her spelling book then he/she is not tested on them.

Comment on this post...