Rukuhia School

Developing Independence
Through Learning
E wahi hari kia akongia
(07) 843 6967
office@rukuhia.school.nz
58 Rukuhia Road, RD 2, Ohaupo 3882

Previous Updates

Room 1 Class Page

Written by Jane

News from Room 1

Social Science

Posted on 5 June 2018

Is that really rubbish? We are learning to reduce our waste pile.

Room 1 and Room 2 looked at the amount of rubbish in this bag... we were surprised that the bag only contained two pieces of rubbish!

We had to sort the rubbish into groups:  soft plastic, hard plastic, cardboard, glass, cans and rubbish.

X-Man (Paul Murray from Zero Waste Education) asked some thought provoking questions around types of rubbish and how we dispose of them.  The children were engaged and totally interested in what Paul had to say.

We were surprised at the reduced size of the original rubbish bag!  Everyone was keen to do more recycling.

During our second session Paul revisited what the children had learnt from last week.  The children had retained their new learning and were able to explain the different types of rubbish.  Paul brought along his worm farm and shared his wonderful knowledge about composting.

The children were most intrigued with the worms and the change from food to compost.

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

Week 3 Update

Posted on 14 May 2018

Keeping Ourselves Safe Maths

Today we had a visit from Constable Niwha.  He supported me with implementing the Keeping Ourselves Safe Programme.  We discussed the following:

• remembering our full name, address and telephone number;
  • what to do if we got lost;
  • naming body parts correctly.

Children were given two home learning worksheets to complete with their families/whanau.

Maths

Mrs McKain is focusing on number knowledge and number strategies.  Children are learning to form their numbers correctly.  You can encourage your child to write their numbers at home - this will reinforce the learning at school. 

Comment on this post...

Swimming Display Term 1

Posted on 10 May 2018

Showing off our Swimming Skills

During our swimming sessions we learnt how to enter and exit the pool safely as well as developing our confidence in and around water.  We were able to float on our backs and on our stomachs.  We are still learning to fine tune our swimming strokes and kicking.

Comment on this post...

Trip

Posted on 10 May 2018

Otorohanga Kiwi House

We had a fantastic time at the Otorohanga Kiwi House.  We learnt lots about native birds and how to protect them in our environment.

Comment on this post...

Term 2

Posted on 8 May 2018

Learning

Welcome to all our new students this term.  A special welcome to Mrs Ngaire McKain.  Mrs McKain will be releasing me to take reading recovery students for the first hour of each day.  She will be teaching mathematics.  We are excited about our learning.  The focus for this term is:

Reading - daily guided reading.  Students take home a book every day - please take time to listen to your child read each evening.  This impacts greatly on your child's progress.  If you fill out the reading log it helps me to gain knowledge about how your child is reading at home and whether your child is reading on a regular basis at home.  Children receive stickers in their reading logs after 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175 and 200 nights of reading.  I think our top score for a home reading log is 287 nights - wow!

Writing - children write about their experiences or from ideas generated around inquiry topics, video clips, newspaper articles, pictures and photographs.

SociaL Sciences - I have displayed a map of New Zealand in the office area and I would like children to bring in a photograph of their family and the name of the town/area that their family is from and/or connected to, so that I can mark it on our map.  The rest of the school are going to participate in this activity too - we will be able to make connections with other families from Rukuhia School.  Room 1 children will be writing about their family members over the next two weeks.

Maths - the focus is measurement so far this term.  The children have been using non-standard measuring tools, such as, paper clips, blocks, hands, to measure the length of objects.  They have also focused on their number knowledge - counting forwards and backwards.  Mrs McKain has been very impressed with their counting knowledge.  Go Room 1 students!

Health & PE - this term we will complete the 'Keeping Ourselves Safe' unit starting from Week 3.  We will also be learning how skip which include lots of jumping - forwards, backwards, sideways.

Maori - we will continue with our daily greetings and farewells.  We will learn a simple mihi in relation to our learning about where we are from and how we connect to our families.  We will focus on some Maori legends - these will also inspire the children to create artwork and develop story telling skills.  

The Arts - the children will continue to experiment with painting techniques and collage in response to our weekly shared big story book. 

Science - we are continuing with our planting/growing within the school garden.  Last week we planted some bulbs by the shed and today we planted some purple broccoli.

Special thanks to Mackensie's mum and grandmother for helping us with the planting.

Comment on this post...