Rukuhia School

Developing Independence
Through Learning
E wahi hari kia akongia
(07) 843 6967
office@rukuhia.school.nz
58 Rukuhia Road, RD 2, Ohaupo 3882

Previous Updates

Room 1 Class Page

Written by Jane

News from Room 1

Mathematics

Posted on 13 June 2019

Patterns

We are learning to identify patterns, complete a sequence pattern and to create patterns.  We have had fun using rakau to create sound patterns.  The focus has been two part and three part patterns.  Miss Smith set up a range of pattern activities for us to explore and experiment with.

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

Harakeke

Posted on 30 May 2019

Maori Legends

We have been learning the story of Maui and the Sun.  As a follow up from this story the students have created a picture and needed to make some flax rope.

A group of students visited the flax bush, said a karakia and cut the flax.  Back in class the students spent time stripping the flax and preparing it so they could make some rope.  They learnt about taking the outer leaves and how it important it is to return the flax scraps to the bush.  In the following photographs the students are scraping the flax with a mussel shell.

Comment on this post...

Term 2 Learning

Posted on 22 May 2019

Term 2 is well underway.  We welcome Miss Rebecca Smith, our teacher trainee for eight weeks. Miss Smith has settled in well and she is now leading the learning in Room 1.  

We are thrilled with the progress that children are making in reading, writing and maths.  Thank you to those parents/whanau who are listening to their child read each day and filling in the reading logs.  We are working on comprehension within reading - the children are asked lots of questions and they are challenged to retell the story in sequence.  Within writing we are looking at making our writing more interesting by adding detail and to use adjectives (describing words). The younger children are still learning to say, hear and record the letter sounds that they hear.  It has been super to see the spelling progress within the children's writing.  Remember spelling testing happens every Friday so please ensure that your child brings his/her spelling book to school each Friday.  

Our inquiry topic is Stories from Around the World.  We will have a special emphasis on Maori legends - we have started with Maui and the Sun.  The children are creating some artwork on this story.  We are introducing some new Maori words and encouraging the children to retell the story including a beginning, middle and end.  Your child may come home with a news reporter card on this topic - feel free to take some time to find a suitable book or item - your child does not have to be prepared for the next day.

Within Health and PE, Miss Smith is focusing on teaching large ball skills.  I have noticed a huge improvement in the children's ability to throw and catch balls.  There has certainly been lots of laughter within our group games.

Comment on this post...

Cupcake Maths

Posted on 22 May 2019

As part of developing our skills in addition and subtraction we read Pete the Cat stories, with Pete the Cat and the Cupcakes being a highlight.  We made cupcakes out of paper, however, we wanted to eat some cupcakes...so Ms Coles made some for us to ice.  They were delicious.

Comment on this post...

Go, Grow and Glow

Posted on 26 March 2019

Health and PE

Hopefully your child brought home a paper lunchbox with ideas in it - this was a follow up from our Sport Waikato session.  It was great to have our visitors from Sport Waikato talk to us about having the right kind of 'fuel' in our bodies to keep us well nourished.

The children learnt about eating food from four food groups to help them 'go, grow & glow' every day.  As a follow up activity the children made charts with the various food groups.  The children were quick to identify the different food groups.

Comment on this post...