Rukuhia School

Developing Independence
Through Learning
E wahi hari kia akongia
(07) 843 6967
office@rukuhia.school.nz
58 Rukuhia Road, RD 2, Ohaupo 3882

Previous Updates

Room 2 Class Page

Written by Room 2

Class notices and learning updates.

Term 4 Week 6

Posted on 23 November 2017

What's been happening!

Kia Ora Whanau

This term has been full on, as you all know now I will be leaving at the end of the year to begin a new chapter in Auckland. I will miss my Rukuhia Whanau dearly, and I know I can always pop in and visit.

This term we have been very busy, with our new aspect of learning, 'Wicked Wednesdays'. Here we take a day to study a topic, which may be science based. We go through the process of inquiry learning. In the morning the students share prior knowledge to the topic, and start to ask questions to begin their journey of discovery. From this students use technology, books and experts to answer questions and form opinions from their new knowledge. Then from the information students use a form of writing to express their learning, from reports, recounts, explanations to descriptions and procedural writing. Sometimes there is an activity involved with creating something which could be a piece of artwork, or following a method to create a mixture, this is where maths links in too. Finally the students are encouraged to discuss, share and evaluate their learning with their peers.

This term so far we have studied the following;

-Slime, gloop and playdough

-Seeds - how things grow

-Sea creatures - sharks, octopus, sea lion, sting rays

-Cloud types and the water cycle

-Rocky shore and animals in rock pools

We will go on to study the following throughout the rest of the term;

-Te Tiriti O Waitangi

-The Meaning of Christmas

The students have made incredible progress this year and as I observe their learning they certainly have grown in independence, inquiry and confidence.

Swimming is now compulsory in our classroom, we have a focus on floating and rotating our heads to breathe. The pool is deep, so to maintain the students confidence around water I have been in the pool with them. How you can help at home...If you have a bath or pool at home, practice getting your child to tilt their head right back when on their backs, this helps bring their bodies up higher in the water.

Over the next few weeks, please take a good look around your house for readers to be returned before the last week of school.

Miss Schnuriger

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...

Important Notices