Rukuhia School

Developing Independence
Through Learning
E wahi hari kia akongia
(07) 843 6967
office@rukuhia.school.nz
58 Rukuhia Road, RD 2, Ohaupo 3882

Previous Updates

Room 2 Class Page

Written by Room 2

Class notices and learning updates.

Term 2 2019

Posted on 11 June 2019

Kia Ora Whanau!

Wow Term 2 is flying past already and we have been hard at work in Room 2. Our big focus this term is about 'Our Land, Our People', which has a big Te Reo focus. So far we have looked at different parts of our land here in New Zealand and what is close to us at school. We have been building on from learning about the Maori Legend, 'Te Ika a Maui' the fish of Maui, that we learn't about in term 1. We have looked closely at the creation story of Ranginui and Papatuanuku, and learn't about the different Maori gods. Then we looked at how the sun effects us in 'How Maui Caught the Sun' and also how mountains are formed in the legend, The Battle of the Mountains'. Last week we were looking at rivers and the legend of taniwha's. Room 2 has created some amazing artwork and pieces of writing to show their learning and understanding of each of these myths. Come and check them out on display in our class if you haven't already.

We have just finished our learning about measurement in maths. Students were learning to use non- standard (such as body parts or objects) to measure the length, width and height of different objects. We even measured the length of the tennis courts with our bodies. We worked it that it was approximately 35 of us long. We are now practicing our skip counting in 2's, 5's and 10's and looking at how we can use these to help us solve problems.

It's been awesome to see some students get some of there big stickers in their reading logs. Someone is even close to getting their 125 reading sticking. Please do keep with reading at home as this builds students reading mileage and helps them to become fluent, smooth readers. Also another reminder that homework books should coming home every night from Monday. I will then test the students on Friday and put new words in their books ready for Monday.

Remember to always pop in and see me if you ever have any questions or would like to talk to me, alternatively you can always reach me at my email address, rachael.saunders@rukuhia.school.nz

Ka Kite

Miss Saunders and Room 2

No comments have been approved for this blog post yet.

Comment on this post...